Restoration of Villa Favard
FLORENCE | ITALY
Preliminary design, detailed design and supervision of the restoration.
The Baroness Fiorella Favard de L’Anglade commissioned renowned architect Giuseppe Poggi to design a residence that would reflect her wealth and social standing. The architect chose to create a first of its kind suburban villa, overlooking the river Arno. Villa Favard was built between 1858 and 1860, in the centre of a land plot which became a magnificent example of a late romantic garden.
HYDEA was in charge of designing the restoration of both the Villa (including the renovation of the internal decorative elements) and the nearby Scuderie (horse stables), to house the new premises of POLIMODA, one of the most reputable international fashion schools in Italy.
The restoration work conducted was based on detailed research into the history of the building and state-of-the-art photographic surveys of the artistic decorations in the interior, including frescoes, boiseries and pieces of original furniture.
While the restoration work in the villa and its appurtenances were conducted without altering the original structural and architectural elements, the underground level was completely refurbished and converted into an archive space for the school, which can be accessed from the garden via two ramps.
From – TOo
2007 – 2011
Ente CRFI, Florence